Thursday, February 26, 2009

Sharing "Good Things"...

I rarely talk about this but I’m reading an incredible book for bible study, Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World. In truth, I fluctuate between being a super busy, perfect Martha type to being a care free Mary…but I’ve already discovered so much in just two chapters! Chapter two is entitled, “Lord, Don’t you Care?” and one of the last paragraphs in it reads:

He knows the journey is difficult. He knows life is rarely fair. Jesus fought the same frigid winds of distraction, discouragement, and doubt (Joanne Weaver calls these the Three Deadly Ds of Destruction) that keep us from knowing God’s love. But like the Father, he longs to gather us in his arms…The Lord Jesus invites us to cast our doubts, our fears and anxiety upon him, to discover how much he really does care.

Some of my regular readers may remember that my cousin recently lost his wife and I made this card for him and his two children, Jimmy and Elizabeth; just a little note to let them know that I am thinking of them. He has been an incredible example to me of keeping his faith and walking with God, and I think that’s why this book is so eye opening to me. Well that was food for your soul, how about something else to “feed” you?


retired TAC set, Mind's Eye paper (still using up papers from the huge pack of papers from Costco!), snowflake CB embossing plate on DCWV paper (also from TAC - I love that I can buy my favorite colors in bulk!) and stickles!

Short on time? Want more time to stamp and still feed your family a decent dinner? I made this last week and it was delicious…couldn’t have been easier and everyone was happy!

Slow-cooker sausage lasagna – Martha Stewart’s Everyday Food magazine

1 pound Italian pork sausage, casings removed
1 pound ground beef (I used ground turkey to make it “healthier”)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 medium carrots, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
coarse salt and ground pepper
1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes in puree
9 lasagna noodles
2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella (8 oz)

In a heavy pot, cook sausage and beef (or turkey!) over medium-high heat, breaking up meat with a spoon until no longer pink, 4-6min. Add onion, carrots, and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook until onion has softened, 3-5 min. Stir in tomato paste, then tomatoes; bring to a boil and remove from heat.

Spoon 2 cups meat mixture into bottom of a 5-6 quart slow cooker. Layer 3 noodles (breaking them up as needed to fit), 2 cups meat mixture and ½ cup cheese; repeat with two more layers. Refrigerate ½ cup cheese for later.

Cover slow cooker, and cook on low, 4 to 6 hours. Sprinkle lasagna with ½ cup cheese. Cover until cheese has melted, about 10 minutes.

1 comment:

Silli said...

OMG, Chris your card is sooo sweet I love the image, it´s funny... Great colors... wow... Hugs from Silke...