Monday, July 20, 2009

Blueberry Kuchen

While I was up visiting my parents, we were invited for Blueberry Pie at their friends' house...it was a gorgeous home and the pie was delicious. My Mom and Dad asked me to write them a thank you note - with one of my "nice" cards. Mary, is quite talented with photography and painting so I knew I wanted something unique and I've been drawn to collage style these days. On the plane I read over the book, The Artful Card which I picked up at the library. I know I should have used a blueberry stamp but since we were all strawberry picking at the local farm, this worked just as well!



The single bee is from a retired TAC set and the Fruit Collage was a special for June. I loved it so much that I bought extras and I have one left for $10.50 plus shipping and tax if you missed out!

I do want to share a special recipe with you...this comes from Tante Else. They were our "neighbors" when my parents' home was just a cottage and I knew them since I was three years old...and since they were from Germany, I called her Tante which is the word for Aunt. They really were like family. Sadly they both passed away years ago but I remember that Uncle Frank could carry a refrigerator on his back in his younger years, I learned to play Yahtzee at their house, and I have their son's old watercolored pencils from when he was 11 and he's now in his 60s!


Else's Blueberry Kuchen

Crust:
9x13 inch pan (greased)
1 cup flour - dash of salt
2-3 tbls powder sugar
1 stick butter (melted)
Mix together, pat thinly (its very, very thin and turns out almost like a cookie crust) into pan.

Filling:

2 pints blueberries (or other fruit. In the winter I love to use just Cherry Pie Filling - you will get rave reviews, promise!) Sprinkle with lemon juice*
(*I think this is optional since I don't do it)
Mix together, sprinkle over fruit:
approx. 2/3 cup sugar
heaping tsp flour
Top with streusel:
1 stick butter (melted)
1 cup flour
dash of salt. Mix together and add 1/2 cup sugar. Mix and sprinkle streusels over top of kuchen.

Bake at 375 degrees for 10 min and then turn down oven to 350 degrees and bake for 30 min. This freezes well and tastes even better with ice cream or whip cream. Enjoy!

5 comments:

Trudy Osborn said...

Beautiful card!

Barb said...

Beautiful card, Chris! And I LOVE the stories :)

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous card! Love the collage style. And the pie sounds scrumptious! rita w

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

This is beautiful Chris!! Love the technique and collage look created with the yummy strawberries! The pie sounds delish!!

Silli said...

*yummy*... Hello sweet Chris, I am happy to see you! The card is so beautiful. I love the yummy image and the colors... The buttons are very pretty... Hugs and happy day! Silke