Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Last day of September...

I probably should be making Halloween type or atleast fall cards but this new Vintage Santa kept calling my name! He's actually quite a large collage but I cropped him down to fit the CPS sketch for this week. That worked out nicely because my watercoloring wasn't that great. Have you ever taken a heat gun to sheer ribbon? I know I've read about it in the past and I was reminded again about how neat it is over on The Angel Company's blog. It made the perfect little "extra something" that I felt this card needed.



Card Materials: all stamps and papers from The Angel Company
Stamps: Vintage Santa
Accessories: Penelope Soar with it Collection and cardstock, ribbon, heat gun

(psst! Did you notice all the layers I used here? tee hee... I counted them up - 7!!)

The Penelope collection is just perfect for fall and Christmas cards...I can't wait to cut some more! I think the next time I crop down this Santa so much, I will use the cracked glass technique...

Have you heard about World Cardmaking Day?! It's Oct 3 and I am participating in a blog hop...PLUS...I am offering blog candy and I will have some customer specials good just for that weekend. Be sure to hop back over on Saturday to see all the fun!!

and now I wanted to share a delicious recipe that I just tried out this weekend from Martha Stewart's magazine, Everyday Food. It was quick and easy and perfect for the fall days ahead!

Seafood Stew

1 tbl olive oil
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 fennel bulb, trimmed, halved and sliced thinly (also called anise at the store!)
1 large tomato, cut into large dice
coarse salt and ground black pepper
4 cups chicken broth
12 oz skinless striped bass or red snapper fillets (I used Mahi Mahi since that's what my store had) cut into 1 inch pieces
1 lb medium peeled shrimp or scallops or a combo of the two (that's what I recommend)
crusty bread for serving

1. In a medium saucepan, combine oil and garlic; cook over medium-high heat unti garlic is fragrant, 1 min. Add fennel and cook, stirring frequently, until slightly softened, about 3 min. Add tomato, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring frequently until tomato is breaking down, about 3 min.

2. Stir in broth, and bring stew to a gentle boil. Reduce to a simmer.

3. Gently fold in seafood. Return to bare simmer and cook until seafood is opaque throughout, about 3 min. Serve stew with bread alongside.

This serves 4, and goes so quickly that it's the kind of meal you can buy at the grocery store and come home and cook!

See you in October!

6 comments:

Juliet A said...

I usually love your cards, but the pink and purple vintage Santa - that's pretty terrible. You can make a modern Santa wild colors, but not a vintage one.

Chris said...

sniff, sniff...you don't mince words. I guess it looks less pink here but I haven't mastered photography nor photo editting. :)

Silli said...

Hello Chris, your santa card is so very pretty... I love x mas....;-) The colors are perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wow, 7 layers...;-) Great work. Big hugs and happy day. Silke

Danni said...

I think it looks nice. It really all flows together nicely...

Juliet A said...

Photography or photo editing? Are you saying that Santa isn't really dressed in pink and purple?

Whatever. I make bad cards way more often than you.

Juliet A said...

I can't believe you won the challenge with this card.